Marshawn Lynch; Wow

acnokpsslbpguxwrcvdlThe running back position is the most precarious position in the NFL these days. Considering that this is now a passer’s league, running backs are rarely the focal point of the offense. There are still some teams, though, that feature a heavy running game strategy, and utilize a runningback that can take double-digit carries out of the backfield per game. One of those teams is the Seattle Seahawks, and their running back, Marshawn Lynch, might have just blown up the NFL again, for the second time in less than 5 years.

Seeing a particularly memorable touchdown run is rare – few happen that break for 5o-yards or more each season, and the number goes down year after year. So, it’s rare. Marshawn Lynch, often referred to as “Beast Mode”, is referred to by that nickname for a reason. You can see that reason below:

That was Marshawn Lynch, breaking 8 or 9 tackles to find the endzone on a 67-yard TD run during the 2010 NFC Wild Card playoff between the defending Super Bowl champions, the New Orleans Saints, and the Seahawks, who entered the playoffs with a 7-9 record; the first ever playoff team with a losing record. To date, that was Lynch’s longest TD run of his career, and the incident is was gave the Seahawks the point cushion to eventually go on to beat the Saints to move on to the next round of the playoffs. It has since been named the “Beast Quake” because CenturyLink field literally erupted, and the crowd noise, particularly during Lynch’s run, had registered on a nearby seismograph.

It’s rare to see a run like that, and there are few running backs other than Marshawn Lynch that can accomplish a feat like that. To do it once during a whole career is impressive; to do it twice in such a clutch scenario, is even more impressive.

Cut to last night; Marshawn Lynch’s 79-yard TD run, where he again breaks several tackles to find his way in to the endzone. See below:

The TD run above is now the longest run of his career. And it’s as good as the previous one. During last night’s dismantling of the NFC West leading Arizona Cardinals, the Seahawks could not be stopped, and Lynch’s score only furthered the lead out to 28-6 as the game began to wind down. What’s crazy about runs like these is that they turn actual football players in to fans, which is an amazingly rare thing. Just look at what some of the Seahawks players had to say about it after the game:

Pete Carroll: “I’ve never seen a better run than Marshawn’s run tonight.”

Russell Wilson: “If you love football, it’s got to be one of the best runs of all time.”

Michael Bennett: “That’s the best run I’ve ever seen.”

Lynch didn’t really elaborate about the run at all in his post-game interview. Lynch, who everyone knows isn’t crazy about the media, pretty much shrugged off all the media hype and compliments regarding the run.

This is a particularly odd season for Lynch, in that he most assuredly won’t be with the Seahawks next season. It’s insane to me that the Seahawks would willingly let go of one of the league’s best running backs, especially since the position is particularly fungible. The 28-year old has proven, for the most part, that his body can take the punishment brought on by his bruising running style. The funny thing about the run is that he actually wasn’t even guaranteed to play last night, and only entered in the second half of the second quarter due to a stomach ailment. And while this is a great indictment about how scary the Seahawks are going in to the playoffs, this is more about Lynch, and the further gushing about him by his teammates. Here’s Richard Sherman’s portion from the Seattle Times’ roundup of the team’s commentary:

“He’s really just showing the world that he’s a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad—continue to say bad— man,” suggested Seahawks All-Pro cornerback Richard Sherman.”And if he’s not in the race for MVP, it’s like what else do you have to do if that’s not an MVP run right there?”

That might be ambitious – Lynch being the MVP. Sherman and the rest of the team were just caught up in the moment. But so was everybody, because it’s not every day that you see a run like this.


Published by: Doug MacFaddin

Douglas Willis MacFaddin was born June 16, 1961 in the Miamisburg Hospital to Patricia Ann MacFaddin and Richard Willis MacFaddin. My mother’s maiden name is Morrison and she is the youngest of seven children who were raised in Lycippus, PA. My father was the second of four children and was a twin. He was raised in the town of Viola, DE. At the time of my birth, my father worked at the Mound Laboratories in Miamisburg, Ohio in research. Mound was an Atomic Energy Commission facility for nuclear weapon research during the Cold War. My mother made a home for our family. My father passed away in 1991 and my mother is currently living in Avon, CT. Doug MacFaddin is the oldest of five children (Doug, R. Stuart, Anne Marie, Megan and Mary (Heather)). I lived in Ohio for two years, spent the next seven years in Murrysville, PA (outside of Pittsburgh), moved to Little Silver, NJ and relocated my senior year in high school to Avon, CT. My four siblings currently live with their families in Avon, CT and are members of St. Ann’s Church. I attended Mother of Sorrows School in Murrysville, PA. In NJ, I attended Little Silver Point Road School, Markham Place School and Christian Brothers Academy (CBA) in Lincroft, NJ for three years. My senior year, I attended Avon High School and I then spent the next four years at Union College, Schenectady, NY. I received a BS in Industrial Economics and graduated in June 1983. While at Salomon Brothers, I was asked to attend a two-week seminar for Public Finance at the University of Michigan in 1986. In Little Silver, I was involved in Troop 126 where I achieved the rank of Life Scout and was both a Patrol Leader and a Senior Patrol Leader. I also was an alter boy at St. James Catholic Church and spent summers a the Ship Ahoy Beach Club in Seabright, NJ and caddying at the Rumson Country Club. At Christian Brothers Academy, I wrestled for the varsity squad for three years. I took second in the districts my junior year and went on to the regionals. I also ran on their cross country team freshman year and was part of the CBA Colt team that hasn’t lost a duel meet since 1973. My senior year at Avon, I won the wrestling States (S). I went on to wrestle at Union College and qualified for the Div III nationals twice (1981, 1982) and was co-captain both years. My senior year at Avon, CT, I also won the States (S) in pole vaulting. It was the first time Avon High School had a state champ in two sports in the same year. During my four years, I earned nine varsity letters between wrestling, track and football. In 1979, I was accepted into The National Honor & Merit Scholars Society. Upon graduating from Union College, I accepted a position at Salomon Brothers Inc in August 1983. I was an analyst in their Public Finance department at One New York Plaza. I lived in Park Slope, Brooklyn and spent the next four years working at Salomon Brothers. As a result of Black Monday, October 19, 1987 the Public Finance Department of Salomon Brothers was jettisoned to conserve capital. By November 1, 1987, I was working at Dean Witter Reynolds in the new Public Finance Department made up of many of my former Salomon Brother’s colleagues. The new Department was located on the 57th floor of 2 World Trade Center.

Categories NFLTags, , , , , , , , , Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s